A lot has been written about free travel.
So much, that one gets tired just thinking about it. But hey, that doesn’t mean everything has been said and so here you have it: We have compiled a long list of the resources that will make you travel for free right below these lines.
Use it wisely!
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
- Win a contest (google “travel contest”)
- Do some research. There are endless opportunities out there!
- Get a sponsor. Here’re some of our partners.
- Become a huge influencer just because. Like the majority of these cool Instagramers.
- Get yourself a sugar daddy or mommy (and yes, this is just a joke, people!)
SAVE SOME MONEY
- Work your ass off before going anywhere
- Sell everything you have (or just some stuff you don’t need)
- Raise money for your project or cause (crowdfunding, donations, charity..)
- Cut your daily expenses, like your phone. Use a calling app to talk to other users for free and make cheap calls to everyone else.
- Follow our saving tips
WORK ABROAD / ON THE MOVE
- Get a skilled migrant visa to any country looking for people with your education and experience background
- Trip leader (Contiki, Trafalgar, HF Holidays, Intrepid, EF, Backroads, Dragoman, G Adventures, etc. )
- Group tour organizer (Adventures abroad, Adventures incorporated, ..)
- Trekking or mountain guide.
- Take a challenge (Global Adventure, Across the divide, Charity treks, Mongol Rally, Rickshaw Run, etc.)
- Flight attendant
- Travel seller (at G adventures for instance)
- Rock star on a world tour
- Video blog for Tripfilms
- Create a start-up and head to Chile (with StartUp Chile, and get 40000 dollars to develop it)
- Travel writer
- Importer / exporter of goods. Check applying laws first.
- Work for a non-profit organization. Start looking for it on Idealist
- Travel photographer. And you could be doing cool photography things soon!
- Freelancer (designer, SEO analyst, online teacher, translator .. )
- Bartender all over the world
- Expat if your company gives you the chance
- Au-pair (in Aupair.com or GreatAuPair.com)
- Language teacher (get your TEFL certificate for free and teach in a far away country like Myanmar. Remember, though, that it’s best to book your Myanmar visa in advance )
- Cruise (CruiseShipJob.com) or yatch crew (crew seekers.net
- Temporary fruit picker
- Farm worker
- Sailor or worker at a ferry crossings company
- Ship unloader
- Conference speaker (you should, at least, pretend you are really good at what you do..)
- Diplomat, politician
- Chef (there is always a high demand of these!)
- Artwork specialist
- Product reviewer or secret shopper
- Seasonal worker at ski resorts in winter
- Worker at hotels during high season. For instance, at Club Med
- Start your own tourism related micro business (city guide, photo tour, .. )
- (Your favourite sport) instructor
- Work camper (in National Parks like Yellowstone and Yosemite or campsites)
- Bar hostess in Japan (just for women, we don’t like it either but it pays really good!)
- Test medication (we wouldn’t recommend it..)
- Join the Navy (we hate this one)
- Spread the word.. of God (another non-keeper)
- Super short-term: Join a workcamp. SCI, worldwide. Small fees may apply.
- Short term: Geekcorps, Winrock, ACDI VOCA, FSVC, IESC
- Long term: Peace corps and United nations, worldwide. Americorps, USA. VSO, UK.
- As an English teacher. Pueblo Ingles Program, Spain
- Artists programs. Find more on Artcorp.org
- Sudan volunteer programme
- Kibbutz volunteer, Israel
- Volunteer in an NGO abroad. Go Abroad has lots of programs.
- EVS if you are european (like I did, in Iceland!)
- Turtle teams worldwide
- WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms)
- Conservation volunteers (Australia and New Zealand)
- Sister city exchanges
- Workampers (if you are a RVer)
- National Park rangers (USA)
- Disaster relief
- Hiking Trail Volunteers (CDTrail, PNT, Appalachian Trail, .. )
- Organic Volunteers (almost every kind of volunteer work)
- Get a scholarship.
- Go to a country where education is free (Sweden, ..)
- Take part in an exchange funded by your local organization, university or govern
- Register to get every airline in the world’s newsletter and wait till they offer free seats (like Air Asia)
- Work your passage as a sailor
- Ride a bike
- Walk everywhere
- Use frequent airline’s miles (small fees may still apply)
- Free travel schemes for seniors (Ireland), children, ..
- Relocate vehicles (Britz, Maui, Autodriveaway …)
- Couchsurfing (is Couchsurfing safe?)
- Global Freeloaders (register at least 6 months prior to your departure)
- Hospitality club
Hostels and monasteries of Saint James’ Way, Spain. They are no longer free, but really affordable for pilgrims and hikers (5-7€)
- Beach or free camping
- House swap (Night swapping)
- House sit (Housecarers, Caretaker, Aussiehousesitters, Mindmyhouse, Housesitworld, Happyhousesitters, ..)
- Hostel worker (in exchange for food and accommodation) South America, New Zealand, worldwide.
- House sitting
- Warmshowers (bicyclists)
- Clubs (Lions, Rotary, Motorcyclists, Gays and lesbians, Educators, Women, Optimist, Mensa if you are really intelligent and after paying the intelligence test cost, Tandem bicyclists, Evergreen for 50+ , …) For many of them, a small fee apply.
- Plant your own food
- Go fishing and hunting (where permitted)
- Take the food supermarkets get rid of at closing times
- If homeless, daily meals are offered in shelters
- Dumpster dive in cities
- Trade restaurant food for dishwashing
- Donate blood (and, luckily, you will get something to eat afterwards)
- There are plenty of “free city walking tours” worldwide. Do some research
- Museums: during off-peak hours might be free / some of them are based on donations / Plenty of them cost nothing!
- Art galleries are usually free (and, if you happen to arrive during an opening, you might get a glass of wine too)
- Parks and nature spots are usually free of charge
- Most of online travel guides cost virtually nothing (like our Andalucia Road Trip Guide. Go check it out!)
What else would you add?
Always looking for your tips, please let us know in the comments below!