Along with the Swedish city of Umea, Riga was chosen to become European City of Culture in 2014. And that usually means a whole bunch of great happenings, events, installations, concerts and many other culture goodness stuff will take place there in the next months.
Invited by the city, I could visit the Latvian capital last January during the opening weekend, filled with celebrations and unique events. Here is a little wrap-up, my Riga 2014 Instagram Snapshots, for you to have a sense of what happened in such a special occasion without freezing like I did when I was taking them. Enjoy!
1. Flying Air Baltic from the NbeFinland to Riga2014 has just felt like taking a Playmobil plane!
2. Hello Riga! Right after landing and checking in my hotel, I went for a walk to check the surroundings. First impressions? The city is busting and full of light! Can’t wait for tomorrow events to check them all out!
3. Good morning Latvia. Let’s do this! The opening celebrations of Riga 2014 are kicking off today!
4. Sun beams warming up the crowds that formed the “Chain of booklovers” from the Old Library to the brand new one: The Castle of Light!
5. A classic. St Peter’s church plus a tilt-shift effect.
6. After lunch, and along with Viagem Criativa’s great blogger Andre Chaos and friends, we experienced Riga tastefulness at the Central Market in Spikeri. Fancy some Latvian herring ?
7. Right at 4:30PM we witnessed an awesome sunset over the Daugava river. There’s nothing like a tall church tower to admire it!
8. The main music event RigaDimd! starts with a full arena.
9. Riga Dimd right now! Amazing how this city has just made me change my usual summer music festival attire for a much warmer outfit; as well as the indie and electronic beats for classical music and opera. Love it!
10. Fire sculptures contest at Riga beach as part of Riga 2014 opening weekend events. Loved them!
11. Some hours ago I took this latergram while we were on our way to check the fire sculptures. The calm and frozen river made for stunning reflections.
12. Riga night out with my Brazilian friend who I met last week in Helsinki. He loves karaoke. Yep.
13. Another latergram of Riga’s Central Market, one of the biggest of its kind in Europe. Have a good Sunday afternoon, Riga!
14. If yesterday we admired how the sun went down from the top of St. Peter’s, we are craving another sweet spot for today’s. Any tips out there? (Note: I ended up seeing it from Radisson Blu’s top restaurant 😉
15. This art installation at Arsenal just blew my mind. Heartbeats.
16. It’s happening ! Wagner’s “Rienzi” on stage at the National Opera.
17. Already missing Riga, now it’s time for us to move on and explore Berlin. We’ll be back!
*Note: This is actually my first attempt to write a post and link it to the Instagram Travel Thursday Page my friend Katja and other fellow bloggers are running. Fingers crossed I am not messing up! 😉