After two busy days discovering the city with #urbino2019tour blogtour, here are my twelve reasons why Urbino should become European city of culture in 2019. Candidate Italian city, I think I would never get tired of living here and it’s rapidly becoming one of the cities I’d move to in a heartbeat.
1. There’s ART EVERYWHERE! Pixel art by Art students spotted at the Multimedia Library, Urbino.
2. Its huge cultural HERITAGE has already been recognized by Unesco.
3. Bricks have been covering walls and streets for more tan eight centuries, what gives the city a warm and WELCOMING touch.
4. It’s actually a lot of FUN to just wander around Urbino streets and it feels so ALIVE even when considering its compact size.
5. Urbino is one of the most SOCIAL cities I’ve ever been to. Around thirty thousand inhabitants get mixed everyday. A nice intercultural and intergenerational exchange!
6. IRREVERENCE! Tradition meets innovation in Street art and murals like this one on the Ersu Urbino walls.
7. More than eighteen thousand students ensure a CREATIVE atmosphere as well as the perfect place for ideas to come true! This week, we saw a lot of University events going on. Like this girl, all dressed up and beautiful, that has just graduated in foreign languages. Congrats!
8. RENOVATION for a brighter future! During #urbino2019tour yesterday afternoon, we visited the current works the faculty of Restoration (part of Urbino’s University) is undertaken in these terms. This is a part of a complex clock that will come back to life after a complex process (cinema addicts out there, doesn’t it remind you to “La migliore offerta”? Just brilliant!)
Truly passionate about her work, the woman restoring it was also a huge inspiration for all of us!
9. Italian food is well-known worldwide but these days we have also discovered they take it seriously in Urbino. Needless to say, it’s DELICIOUS.
10. Walking its steep streets will make you FIT and HEALTHY. Isn’t it great? Without paying a dime for the gym!
11. Marche Region WINE! Red and White, we tasted awesome ones.
12. More than five centuries ago, Urbino lead a cultural revolution. Nowadays, they are ready for a NEW RENAISSANCE.
Disclosure: Although I was kindly invited to visit this magnificent city by Marche Region and the city of Urbino to raise awareness about the candidacy of Urbino for becoming European city of culture in 2019; all opinions, as always, are my own.
Have you ever visited Urbino or are you planning to do it in a near future? Let us know!